DeKalb Workforce Development Office
DeKalb Workforce Development Office
650B North Peace Road
DeKalb, IL 60115
The DeKalb Workforce Development Office (DWDO), through Kishwaukee College, has financial assistance for the Fall 2020 semester available through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Grant. The WIOA grant can fund up to $10,000.00 towards the completion of WIOA approved programs at Kishwaukee College. The DWDO works closely with WIOA core partners, such as Adult Education, Vocational Rehabilitation, Illinois Department of Employment Security, Perkins Postsecondary Education and the Kishwaukee College Career Services.
Please note, there are currently no Unemployment Offices in DeKalb County, if you are in need of applying for unemployment please visit www.ides.il.us, call 1-800-224-5631 or call your local unemployment office, such as the North Aurora or Rockford Office.
All services at the DWDO are open to the public.
The DWDO office is currently providing services remotely.
Join us every Monday from 2-3 pm as we explore the topics of resume building and online job searching. Upcoming workshops:
- Online Job Searching-September 14
- Resume Building-September 21
- Online Job Searching-September 28
To register, contact Aaron Briggs.
Students interested in learning more about WIOA opportunities are encouraged to attend a WIOA Zoom Orientation. Orientations are available via zoom every Tuesday and Friday from 2-3 pm. For more information, contact Aaron Briggs.
Open Office Hours
Drop in Office Hours are available via zoom. Students with questions on services are encouraged to "drop in" anytime duirng the set hours. Staff will be waiting to assist you.
- Linda Kocjan-Monday/Wednesday, 2-3 pm
- Aaron Briggs-Tuesday/Friday, 2-3 pm
WIOA funding requires eligibility and suitability of students in addition to the program needing to be approved on the State Wide List. Programs available at Kishwaukee College include:
- Sterile Processing Technician
- EMS Paramedic
- EMT Certificate
- Paramedic Certificate
- Google IT Support
- Medical Assistant
- Technology & Manufacturing
To see a complete list of WIOA approved programs, please visit the Illinois WorkNet Center webpage.
Eligibility for WIOA funding includes, but is not limited to, assessing one’s income vs. family size. People who have recently been laid off/ received unemployment insurance and/ or are considered low income based off of Illinois State guidelines are strongly encouraged to apply. Eligibility is something that the DWDO team works through with each student/ customer and therefore, everyone in need of financial assistance training for schooling is encouraged to apply.
Additional Services for Job Seekers
The option of submitting the application electronically is now available! Get started today by filling out the initial WIOA application and submitting it via-email to Nicole Speizio-De Paz at firstname.lastname@example.org. After submitting the application you will be sent a confirmation email and will be provided with additional information regarding next steps.
Services for Area Employers
The DWDO assists with job searching and professional development for community members- with all services currently being offered remotely.
Job Seeker Services:
- Career Resource Center with computer access for job search
- Financial assistance for training through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (contains eligibility and suitability requirements)
- Career exploration through Career Pathways
- Job search assistance through individual and group activities, comprehensive and specialized skills assessments, industry sector and labor market information
- On-site job placement
- Computer literacy classes
- High School Equivalency and ESL class schedules
- Kishwaukee College and financial aid information
The DeKalb Workforce Development Offices provides the following services for area employers:
- Free advertising & marketing for available positions within your company
- Assistance with finding qualified applicants
- Pre-employment assessments in math & reading or utilize your company's pre-employment process
- Onsite employee recruitment
- Space for conducting interviews
- Customized training
- On-the-job training program
Join Linda Kocjan Thursday, September16th at 2:00 pm, as she will be presenting a free workshop entitled, “Preparing for a Digital Job Fair.” Contact her at Lkocjan@kish.edu to pre-register.
Every Wednesday in the month of September at 1:30 pm, please join Linda as she hosts the “More With Us” web meeting where she discusses various career-focused topics and resources to all. If you would like to learn more about this opportunity, contact Linda at Lkocjan@kish.edu.
Adult Education & Perkins
- Chinese Mutual Aid Association:773-784-2966
- Elgin Community College: 847-214-6953
- Kishwaukee College: 815-825-9408
- Waubonsee Community College: 630-801-7900 ext.4119
- Word Relief: 630-906-9546 ext.2030
- YMCA-Elgin: 847-742-7930
- St. Augustine College: 773-878-6334
Community Service Block Grant (CSBG)
- DeKalb County Community Action: 815-758-8616
- Kendall County Health Department: 630-553-8024
- Two Rivers Head Start: 630-264-1444
Department of Human Services (DHS)
- DeKalb Office: 815-758-2471
- Aurora Office: 630-892-7417
- DeKalb Office: 815-895-8667
- Aurora Office: 630-844-7460
- Elgin Office: 847.931.2750
Illinois Department of Employment Security
- Unemployment Insurance: 800-244-5631
- Employment Services (Wagner-Peyser & Migrant Seasonal Farmworker Program): 800-844-6647
- Veterans Services: 815-334-2792
- Trade Readjustment Assistance (TRA): 630-844-6652
Workforce Development Training & Business Services
- DeKalb Office: 815-901-0177
- Kane Office: 630-966-1435 ext.40078
- Kendall Office: 630-553-9100
- Business Services: 630-966-1435 ext.40086
- Youth Services: 630-966-1435 ext.40076
Nicole Speizio-De Paz
Coordinator, Job Seeker Services
815-901-0177 ext. 211
Employer Services Specialist
815-901-0177, ext. 225
Career Resource Specialist
Ogle County Program Contact
810 S.10th Street
Oregon, IL 61061
815-732-0148 office, 815-200-3550 cell